In 1884 Bryant and May became a public company which was to expand greatly during the remainder of the nineteenth and early decades of the twentieth centuries. The new company comprised Bryant & May's business and that of two other match manufacturers, Pace & Sons and J.H. Hunt & Co. The business grew quickly, taking over Bell & Black, with their four British factories in 1885. Increased production encouraged a drive for export markets in Australia, India and the Far East.The following documents comprise staff and director photographs, press cuttings regarding the Match Tax Protest of 1871, diary entries from Francis May, 1865, business papers relating to the company's fortunes during the latter half of the nineteenth century as well as other community inititatives undertaken by the firm.